1. What positions are available at Calgary Public Library?
Available positions will be posted under "Current Opportunities." Read the job advertisement for more information, including job requirements, and how to apply.
Other positions at Calgary Public Library include:
- Shelver - sorting and shelving library materials. Shelving is physically demanding and highly repetitive
- Library Support - involves entry level clerical duties as well as sorting, shelving and processing Library materials. This work may be physically demanding and repetitive.
- Customer Service - work directly with Library customers and complete a variety of duties involving library cards and accounts; borrowing and returning Library material; and programming
- Information Services - answer customer questions using a variety of information and online sources; assist in collection development, programs and community outreach. A Bachelor's level university degree is required
- Librarian - plan, deliver and evaluate Library services. A Master's degree from an accredited library school program is required
- Specialist - areas such as Human Resources, Finance, Marketing, Facilities, and Information Technology
2. How do I apply to work at Calgary Public Library?
Employment Application Forms are available at all locations of Calgary Public Library. You can drop your completed application form (and resume, if you have one) off at any branch location OR at Human Resources (6th Floor North, Central Library).
3. Do I send an application to all the branch libraries?
No, hiring is done through Human Resources, located at the Central Library. You can drop your application form (and resume, if you have one) off at any branch location OR at Human Resources (6th Floor North, Central Library).
4. Where can I find an application form?
You will find a copy here. You can drop your completed application form (and resume, if you have one) off at any branch location OR Human Resources (6th Floor North, Central Library).
5. Can I apply by email?
Yes, you can. You can email your completed application form (and resume, if you have one) to email@example.com.
6. I am thinking of taking the Library Information Technology course at SAIT?
Only a few jobs at Calgary Public Library include a Library Technician Diploma as an educational requirement.
7. What are the salaries for jobs at the library?
- Our entry level position is Shelver. This position starts at $12.92/hour.
- Customer Service positions start around $20.00/hour.
- Other positions - as they increase in responsibility and educational requirements - pay more.
8. What can I do to improve my chances of finding employment with the Calgary Public Library?
Since the Library is open days, evenings and weekends - availability is important. Also, customer service experience is valued at the Library.
9. I volunteer at my children's school, or in the community, is this considered experience?
Yes, we do consider volunteer experience.
10. I submitted an application and have not heard back from Human Resources?
We are not able to acknowledge receipt of all applications. We keep applications on file for 3 months, so if you do not hear from the Library - you can submit another application after 3 months.