Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds
Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds is a weekly program designed to provide elementary students in grades in 1-6 with specialized math help. A team of adult volunteers (4-6 volunteers) will provide a caring, sensitive and supportive environment to meet the learning needs of the participants. Volunteers will be provided with proven methods they can use to engage students in learning mathematics, to help eradicate math anxiety and encourage all students to reach their full potential. A trained staff will coordinate this program.
Listen to Mayor Nenshi share the importance of math skills and his personal invitation for you to volunteer!
Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds is designed:
- To help with homework assignments
- To instill confidence and a genuine desire for lifelong learning
- To confirm and develop the links between the Library, learning and fun
- To develop participants’ sense of responsibility
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs
Length of the program
- 1 hour a week from the end of January to the April/May
- 1 hour a week from the end of September to Mid-December
- Interest and experience in supporting the participant’s learning endeavors.
- Interest and basic skills in making learning ‘fun’ for participants.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter.
- Effective communication skills.
- Attend an orientation and training session
- Help participants complete homework assignments, develop good study habits, and provide encouragement.
- Plan and implement weekly fun literacy activities with fellow volunteers and branch staff.
- Ensure a positive, comfortable and productive learning environment.
- Respond to parents’ inquiries.
- Commit to participate for a minimum of one term (September – December and/or January– June).
- Contact library staff if you are unable to attend a scheduled session.
- Respect confidentiality.
During induction the following topics are reviewed with the volunteers:
- Introduction to Calgary Public Library
- Review of program goals
- Review of a typical day in the Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds program
- Sample of activities
- Introduce yourself to new people and opportunities
- Have fun and contribute to your community
- Develop new skills: inter-personal skills, leadership, problem solving, comunication, and time management
Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds Contact:
Marian Erb Email: Marian.Erb@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-260-2648
If you are interested in volunteering for the Canadian Oil Sands Math Minds program, please apply here.