The Homebound Reader Program provides library service to customers who are temporarily or permanently unable to visit the Library due to mobility or health concerns and who have no alternative means of obtaining library materials. The Library relies on a network of volunteers to provide the link between the Library and its homebound customers.
- To provide access to library resources and materials to Calgarians who are unable to visit the library due to mobility or health concerns.
- To promote lifelong learning, inclusion and independence.
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs.
- Strong interpersonal & communication skills.
- Physical ability to carry library materials.
- Ability to provide your own transportation.
- Genuine interest in volunteering with the elderly and sharing the love of reading with others.
- Select, deliver and return library materials to homebound individuals based upon the reader’s personal reading interests and reading considerations.
- Consult with your homebound reader to arrange for mutually convenient meeting times.
- Maintain regular contact with library staff to discuss the homebound customer’s needs.
- Commit to participate in the program for a minimum of one year.
- Respect confidentiality.
- Volunteers participate in a two hour training session to review the services and resources offered by Special Needs Services.
- Develop lasting relationships with their reader.
- Make new connections and contribute directly to local communities
- Seniors can remain active by delivering books to those who are no lnoger able to visit a branch
Homebound Readers Contact:
Tammy Profili Email: Tammy.Profili@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-260-2755
If you are interested in volunteering for the Homebound Readers program, please apply here.