Homework Help is a weekly program designed to provide encouragement to students in grades 3 to 6, help them to complete homework assignments and develop good study habits. Three to four volunteers provide the caring, sensitive, group support essential to meet the needs of the fifteen participants. Students meet in small groups to receive help with their homework and participate in fun educational games that encourage good study habits and inspire life long learning.
- To help with homework assignments
- To instill confidence and a genuine desire for lifelong learning
- To confirm and develop the links between the Library, learning and fun
- To develop participants’ sense of responsibility
- To increase awareness and use of library resources, services and programs
Length of the program
- 1 hour a week from the end of January to the end of April
- 1 hour a week from the end of September to the first week of December
- Interest and experience in supporting the participant’s learning endeavors.
- Interest and basic skills in making learning ‘fun’ for participants.
- Good problem solving skills.
- Ability to be a self-starter.
- Effective communication skills.
- Help participants complete homework assignments, develop good study habits, and provide encouragement.
- Plan and implement weekly fun literacy activities with fellow volunteers and branch staff.
- Ensure a positive, comfortable and productive learning environment.
- Respond to parents’ inquiries.
- Commit to participate for a minimum of one term (October – December and/or January– April).
- Contact library staff if you are unable to attend a scheduled session.
- Respect confidentiality.
During induction the following topics are reviewed with the volunteers:
- Introduction to Calgary Public Library
- Review of program goals
- Review of a typical day in the Homework Help program and the integration of fun literacy activities
- Sample of Homework Help activities
Homework Help Contact:
Marian Erb Email: Marian.Erb@calgarypubliclibrary.com Phone: 403-260-2648
If you are interested in volunteering for the Homework Help program, please apply here.