Houses of Peter Prince, Hugh Macleod and Victor Anderson on 4th Avenue W
Postcards from the Past, PC 1013
One of Heritage Park’s jewels, the Peter A. Prince House, has been a part of the park since 1967. The Prince House is just one of several grand homes which once lined Reinach Avenue West, also known to locals as ‘Royal Road’, or ‘Millionaire’s Row’. When the city changed to a numbered quadrant system in 1904, Reinach became 4th Avenue West.
Peter Anthony Prince's stately house was built in 1894, and originally stood at 238 4th Avenue SW, at the northeast corner of 4th Avenue and 2nd Street West. Prince moved to Calgary in 1886, and became the manager of the Eau Claire and Bow River Lumber Company. His wealth came from several business ventures, including a flour mill and elevator, the Prince-Kerr ranch at Brooks, and he later formed the Calgary Water Power Company. In 1966, Alberta and Southern Gas and Alberta Natural Gas donated the Prince house to Heritage Park, sponsoring the move and restoration as a project for Canada’s Centennial in 1967. In preparation for the move, the woodwork and 25,000 bricks were removed, and the house was divided into three sections. It was reassembled on a simulated sandstone foundation, where it still stands today.
Hugh S. Macleod, proprietor of the New Grand Central Hotel, made his home in a large Queen Anne mansion at #312.
The home of R. N. Kirkpatrick, customs inspector, was at #318. This home was later owned by Henry A. Perley, proprietor of the Alberta Hotel, which still stands on Stephen Avenue. H. A. Perley left money in his will for the Perley wing of the General Hospital.
Residence of D.W. Marsh, 203 4th Avenue W
From Picturesque Calgary, 1901 published by the Calgary Herald
One of Calgary's grandest homes was that of Daniel Webster Marsh, located at 203 4th Avenue West. D. W. Marsh arrived in Calgary in 1884, and was mayor in 1889. He made his fortune through fur trading in Montana, supplying beef to Canadian Pacific Railway crews, and later as a Calgary merchant. When he died in 1916, he left an estate valued at $351,000, equivalent to nearly $6,000,000 today. The Marsh home was later divided into eight suites, and was demolished in 1953-54 to make way for Universal Motors.
In 1892, D. W. Marsh also built another home at 215 4th Avenue SW, next door to his own. He sold this home to the Anglican Church, and it was the official residence of Bishop Cyprian Pinkham, known as ‘Bishop’s Court’. In the early 1900s, the home is listed to Mrs. D. W. Moore. Mrs. Moore ran a boarding house, and her home was later expanded to become the 68-room Braemar Lodge. The exclusive Braemar Lodge had a total of 68 rooms, and was considered the finest hotel in the city, until the Palliser Hotel was built. The Braemar Lodge graced 4th Avenue West until 1965, and was in the process of demolition when it was destroyed by fire.
Braemar Lodge, 215 4th Avenue W, ca 1959
Alison Jackson Photograph Collection, AJ 33-17
This post was written by Kayla M.