Although we typically think that “idiots” are individuals who suffer from an excess of stupidity, the original meaning of the term was a bit different. In ancient Greece, an idiot was a person who failed to involve himself in civic affairs.
With Calgary’s civic election on the not-too-distant horizon, it’s more important now than ever to avoid being an idiot. And your Calgary Public Library is here to help!
- Let our information desk staff help you determine which ward you live within.
- Attend an All Candidates Forum at a branch near you (stay tuned for details…).
- Gather information about your fair city. The 3rd floor of the Central Library is chock full of current statistics and government documents.
- Read Calgary’s daily newspapers online! Your CPL card is your subscription to both the Herald and the Sun, so there’s no excuse for not knowing your candidates’ platforms.
- Check out our Best Websites for links to our favourite online sources of information.
In terms of protecting democratic societies, the public library is a crucial institution. We’re affordable and egalitarian. We celebrate diversity in both people and ideas. We invite you to use your library and to vote for the mayoral candidate of your choice.