Congratulations to Calgary's first poet laureate!
From fourteen nominations in January to six shortlisted poets performing at the Poet Laureate Showcase to one:
Kris Demeanor is Poet Laureate of Calgary.
So now that we have a poet laureate: what exactly does that mean?
Calgary Arts Development defined the poet laureate's role in their backgrounder:
- On July 26, 2011 City Council approved a motion to establish the position of Poet Laureate for Calgary, funded by Poet Laureate Ambassadors from the private sector. The Poet Laureate will be appointed to a two-year term.
- Calgary’s Poet Laureate will compose and present poetry for official City of Calgary occasions, raise awareness of local issues through commissioned works and act as an ambassador for the arts in Calgary.
- The Poet Laureate position was created to be an advocate for Calgary artists to the citizens of Calgary.
- The Poet Laureate produces literary work that is reflective of Calgary’s citizen’s landscape and/or civic identity and can raise awareness of local issues through their work.
- The Calgary Poet Laureate will receive an annual honorarium of $10,000 over a two-year term.
Other Canadian cities have had poet laureates; Toronto since 2001, Vancouver since 2006 and Edmonton since 2005.
We look forward to experiencing Kris's future work in his poet laureate role. In the meantime, you can check out some of his CDs from the library (click on the album cover) and learn more about him on his website: Kris Demeanor
Kris Demeanor Announced as Calgary Poet Laureate Calgary Arts Development
Kris Demeanor named Calgary’s first poet laureate Calgary Herald
Calgary's first poet laureate chosen CBC