What is the TD Summer Reading Club?
Studies show that children often lose reading skills over the summer months. However, children who continue to read during this time maintain and even gain literacy skills. At the same time, enthusiastic readers make better students and will develop an association with books and learning that will last a lifetime. Participate in the TD Summer Reading Club to help prevent the "summer reading slide" and introduce your kids to great books!
How do I sign up?
Come into any of our 18 Library locations, starting June 18th, to register your child in Eureka! 2014 TD Summer Reading Club, a joint initiative with Library and Archives Canada. Join us for the kick-off party Saturday, June 21st at your local community library!
How much does it cost?
It's FREE! Kids library cards (12 and under) are always free.
How does it work?
- When you sign up, you will receive an activity booklet or magazine, a maker notebook, and your first of nine weekly reading ballots.
- New weekly reading ballots will be released every Monday.
- Every time you complete a weekly reading ballot, you will receive a sticker to add to your maker notebook.
- Track your child's reading on the reading ballot — preschoolers need to read 15 minutes a day (or be read to), and school-age children need to read 20 minutes a day to complete a ballot every week.
- Books, magazines, trivia books, comics, everything counts in the TD Summer Reading Club.
- Read all summer long to be entered in the grand prize draw at the end of the summer.
- The program ends August 30th, so remember to get your final ballots in on time!
This year's grand prize is a gift certificate for a Mad Science Party for 10, where the amazing Mad Science of Southern Alberta will bring a laboratory full of interactive demonstrations and activities to you! Winners also recieve a copy of Time for Kids Big Book of Science Experiments and a Mad Science t-shirt! Each of our 18 library locations will be giving one away, as well as many weekly book prizes.
Who can play?
Babies, preschoolers, and children of all ages can participate this summer. Pick up a special activity booklet just for babies and preschoolers, with fun activities for kids and parents to do together.
Please help us evaluate the 2014 TD Summer Reading Club. Your answers are valuable in helping us to improve the program. Please complete one survey per child.