My name is Jackie Flowers and I’m the new Community Outreach Librarian at the Shawnessy Library.
What is a Community Outreach Librarian?
You are probably familiar with the typical librarian – someone that dispense annoyed glares over her horn-rimmed glasses which shushing children for whispering too loudly. This is the librarian of the past.
I became a librarian because I believe in the power of public libraries to support the growth and development of communities. One of the reasons I am really excited to be the Community Outreach Librarian for Shawnessy is that I spend the majority of my time outside the branch, in the community.
Some of my responsibilities:
- Meet with community agencies and service providers to discuss new initiatives for the community;
- Generate new possibilities and ideas through conversation with community members;
- Attend community meetings;
- Deliver library services outside the physical walls of the library;
- Be an Information Specialist about communities south of Fish Creek Provincial Park.
Stay tuned for details of my adventures in south Calgary.